Date Posted: 10/19/18
FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN LEVEL I
Job openings exist in the BrightRidge Broadband Department for two Field Service Technicians
The Field Service Technician Level I will work under the direction of the Field Service Manager for installation, activation, and repair of the Broadband related services for residential and commercial customers while maintaining excellent customer service. Essential Functions of the job to include:
- Installs, activates, verifies, and maintains fiber optic cabling, customer premise copper/fiber cabling, and wireless network infrastructure to service our customers in accordance to all communications industry and company standards.
- Employee will utilize bucket truck lifts to access the aerial fiber optic cabling.
- Various trenching and ditch excavating work is required for the installation and maintenance of underground fiber optic cabling. This may require the use of hand shovels, light duty excavators, trenching equipment, and boring machines.
- Splice and test fiber optic cable as required, maintain all necessary plant documentation, and communicate changes to the facility/mapping personnel.
- Expected to troubleshoot any infrastructure problems and help with repair utilizing tools as provided. Tools will include fiber optic cutters, fiber splicers, OTDRs, light meters, fiber identifiers, wireless analyzer, and others as determined.
- Mount and test wireless CPE (customer premise equipment) as required and maintain all necessary plant documentation. Determine optimal location and pathways to install exterior Internet antenna based on signal strength and best line of sight to access point. Install external antenna on customer roof or other exterior surface in residential and commercial applications.
- Mount and test Optical Network Terminals (ONTs) and related cable management as required and maintain all necessary plant documentation. Determine optimal location to install exterior fiber drop, fiber tray, ONT, and interior equipment.
- Run CAT5/6 or other provided cable from external CPE or ONT device to the internal network equipment. Including cabling via wall fish, terminate cable ends, and perform verification testing according to company standards.
- Internal cabling installation may include Category 5/6 twisted pair, RF coaxial cables, fiber optic, and various telephone grade wiring.
- Install, activate, and maintain Broadband services provided by Wireless CPE and fiber ONTs.
- Assist customer with initial PC, LAN, and wireless configuration
- Perform Internet speed tests to ensure delivered speeds are within acceptable range
- Customer premise equipment installations may include ONTs, Wireless CPE, Network Routers, Wireless Access Points, Ethernet Switches, Video Set Top Box units (linear and OTT), Telephone Channel Banks/ATA units, and other devices utilized to deliver services to our customers.
- Coordinate equipment conversions, including LCC fiber changes, Wireless Access Point changes, and customer premise electronics replacements.
- Troubleshoot customer network problems with Network Support Center, Field Service Manager, OSP Engineer, and Network Engineers.
- Work within time guidelines derived from company construction work orders and installation schedules to maintain appointments at customer sites. Ensure communications with NSC, scheduler, and customer for changes in schedule.
- Maintain documentation for facilities management of inside and outside plant. Convey information about fiber optic drops, LCC fiber changes, and POP connections to the Field Service Manager and mapping operator for proper update of records.
- Promote good employee and departmental relations by working and communicating well with other departments.
- Interact with customers in a manner that positively reflects Brightridge’s commitment to customer service.
- Ability to maintain reliable, predictable and reasonable attendance.
These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal (other employees) and external (contractors, vendors other utilities, etc.) customers.
- Possess basic knowledge of Wireless RF theory and deployment practices.
- Possess basic knowledge of fiber optic networks and deployment practices.
- Strong knowledge of networking, cable types, codes, and standards related to commercial and residential communications cabling installation and maintenance.
- Ability to document changes and resolutions to problems encountered.
- Ability to work safely at height from an extension ladder and/or bucket.
- Ability to climb poles and work with aerial cabling in a safe manner.
- Ability to work in confined areas for long periods of time.
- Must possess strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work independently and complete assigned tasks timely
- Must possess PC skills and experience with Windows-based programs
- Must display a high degree of honesty, loyalty, and integrity
Position requires outside work in adverse weather conditions and the ability to ambulate on uneven terrain with exposure to dirt and dust. May be exposed to insects and animals such as dogs. Must be able to occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and have maximum push force of 30 pounds and maximum pull force of 20 pounds.
May require driving multiple hours a day. Requires constant handling, vision and depth perception and frequent fine manipulation, sitting, reaching and static position of the head/neck. Requires frequent arm/hand, leg/foot and simple grasp for machine control operation. Must at times work from a bucket truck, an extension ladder and/or a roof.
Minimum of two years experience in a technical support and/or operations role related to installation and support of telecommunications services. Fiber splicing experience preferred. High school diploma or equivalent required.
Qualified candidates should submit an on-line application along with cover letter and resume by November 2, 2018. EEO/M/F TNDFWP