Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

New Builders 

New Construction Requirements

BrightRidge is committed to providing safe, reliable electric service at a reasonable cost. Our employees understand that meeting construction needs, and timely scheduling are also important. Follow these steps to expedite the process for obtaining electric service for new construction: 

  1. Obtain a 911 Address. You must provide BrightRidge with a valid 911 address before you can apply for electrical service.  Call the phone number for the county in which you are building to obtain a 911 address.


Phone Number

City of Johnson City Building Division 

(423) 434-6188

City of Kingsport

(423) 224-2462

Washington County

(423) 979-1500, Option 5

 Sullivan County

(423) 279-7606

Carter County

(423) 543-0911

Greene County 

(423) 798-1729 or (423) 798-1824


  1. Schedule an appointment. Schedule an appointment with the BrightRidge Engineering Department by calling (423) 952-5034. The Engineering Department will provide a work order number for the job, if needed. Allow three to four days for appointment scheduling. 


  1. Obtain an electrical permit from the State Electrical Inspector. **The State Electrical Inspector performs all inspections inside the BrightRidge service area except within the city limits of Johnson City and Kingsport. 



    Contact Information

     Washington County Residents

    As of February 14, 2020, BrightRidge will no longer be an issuing agent for the State of Tennessee electrical inspection permits. Electricians and customers can go online to the state website, and purchase their own permits. Questions should be directed to the State Permits & Licensing at (615) 741-7170.

    Johnson City Residents

    Johnson City - Building Department, City Municipal Safety Building: (423) 434-6047

    Kingsport Residents

    Building Inspector & Electrical Permits: (423) 229-9393. County Electrical Permits, (423) 354-0303 City Electrical Permits**: (615) 741-7170

  1. Inspections and Service Orders required.

*All construction charges must be paid before a service order can be made. It is the customer's responsibility to contact BrightRidge to request service. 

Temporary Service Requirements:

1. Complete electrical inspection.

2. Temporary service orders may be obtained by calling a BrightRidge Customer Service Representative at (423) 952-5000. If you plan to use the same temporary for more than one house, BrightRidge requires the temporary to have the address of the LAST house to require permanent service. If this is not possible, there will be a temporary service order required for each address. 

Permanent Service Requirements:

1. Complete electrical inspection. 

2. Obtain a permanent service order from a Customer Service Representative at (423) 952-5000. *Electricians please advise the customer of the need to apply for permanent power.

*NOTE: Under no circumstances will power be connected without an inspection and service order.

* Verify Rates Our staff is committed to providing current and accurate rate information. It is our goal to update this site as changes occur. However, rates are subject to change without notice. Verify rates with a BrightRidge representative.

Live Chat